Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pleasant Mountain April 7





The man on the top of the mountain did not fall there. ~ Chinese Proverb

A beautiful March and April this year allowed for an early start on hiking.  In previous summers I had done some hiking in the White Mountains when I had a chance, but this I year I wanted to try to do a lot more hiking and try a variety of trails.  I decided to start off the season with a hike up Pleasant Mountain in Bridgton/Denmark, Maine.  Being the first hike of the year for me, I thought I would start with the Fire Warden's Trail which is the least steep approach to the summit.  It was a cool and relatively clear day and perfect for hiking.  This was the first time I had hiked Pleasant Mountain.  It is a nice starter Mountain if you are not used to doing a lot of hiking - as is the case with me.  The Fire Warden's Trail is a manageable steady incline to the summit without any surprises or scrambling over rocks.  However the trail is criss crossed by logging areas which leave large bare areas pretty much the whole way up so you don't really feel like you are out in the woods away from everything.  However it is still an enjoyable hike.






Since there were no leaves out yet, the views along the trail were very nice in a few spots.  In one particular spot along the trail we got a nice view of snow covered Mt Washington.



At the summit we were rewarded with some nice views.







A nice hike and one that I would recommend for a hiking season starter.

No comments:

Post a Comment